Everybody loves to eat potato bread, so do I. When I stayed at New Zealand 3 years ago, I still remember how delicious of this potato with chives bread. As such, for my second attempt of handmade bread, I tried out one of the recipe from a European bread baking book. Below is the west style of potato bread’s original recipe and of course I changed the style & shape of the bread based on my own creativity and liking. That’s my whole idea of baking my own bread :).
1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped chives
2 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
6 cups flour
- Cut potatoes into pieces, place into a pot and boil it. Strain out the water & place the potatoes into a bowl. Add in the sour cream & butter.
- Using a potato masher or forks, mash the step 1 till smooth. Add in the egg, instant yeast and chopped chives.
- Add in flour. Allow this mixture to rest for 10 minutes. Add in the salt.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes till the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Add a little oil to another bowl and add in the dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Shape the bun creatively
- Sprinkle with a little flour and place into a preheated 190C oven for 25 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.